The Wake County Department of EMS is comprised of 257 full-time employees and responds to 70% of the 911 emergency responses. The other three contract agencies (Cary EMS, Eastern Wake EMS and Town of Apex EMS) respond to the other 30% of the 911 responses. The system works seamlessly from the citizen’s view with all agencies working under the same medical director and same set of medical policies, procedures and protocols. Also, all units working off of the same 800 mHz radio system, automatic vehicle locator system and closest unit response process. EMS telecommunications are handled primarily through the Raleigh-Wake Emergency Communications Center. In addition to the regular 911 responses, the Wake County EMS System has well-developed mobile integrated health (community paramedic) and research programs. Non-emergency ambulance service is provided by franchised for-profit ambulance providers and specialty care ambulance transport services are provided through the hospital affiliated ambulance providers. The Wake County Department of EMS is funded through the Wake County general fund. The fiscal year 2015 budget included $35 million in expenses offset by $23 million in revenues