To provide safe and reliable daily school bus transportation of students to and from
school and home in accordance with school district contract requirements
Comply with all applicable federal and state regulations regarding the operation of various types
of vehicles in transporting pupils to and from school, special events, field trips, etc.
- Conducts vehicle inspections as required by all applicable federal, state, local regulations and in
accordance with Company procedures. Does not operate an unsafe vehicle and reports
mechanical malfunctions to the appropriate Maintenance Shop personnel.
- Reports to duty on time and operates vehicle on an assigned route as directed.
- Maintains scheduled route to established time and mileage or notifies supervision of changes
- Maintains, reads and understands route sheets including time changes and provides on-time
route performance in a safe and effective manner.
- Exercises student management through communication and discipline per Company policy and
maintains control of student passengers at all times to ensure safe operation of vehicle.
- Records and reports discipline issues to school officials as instructed.
- When transporting special needs students, manage student care and behavior within guidelines
established by individual school districts.
- Provides physical assistance to passengers during emergency vehicle evacuations.
- Reports all vehicle and passenger accidents/incidents in accordance with Company accident
- Maintains confidentiality of student medical and personal information.
- Reports all personal motor vehicle violations to supervisor as required by DOT regulations.
- Keeps the interior of the assigned vehicle clean and presentable.
- Ensures vehicle is properly fueled according to facility procedures.
- Completes all required paperwork (including route change sheets, time cards, vehicle repair
requests) and submits to the appropriate authority in a timely manner.
- Prepares vehicle for inclement weather conditions, including scraping or cleaning windows,
applying tire chains.
- Safely and efficiently utilizes bus equipment, including wheelchair lifts, radios and emergency
- Presents a neat and professional appearance at all times.
- Maintains a cooperative attitude with fellow employees, supervisors, parents, and school
personnel; always promoting company goodwill.
Minimum experience or requirements:
Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain, all valid applicable state licenses and other required
certifications to operate company vehicles.
- Must meet physical and medical requirements and pass substance abuse screening; as a safetysensitive
employee, will be subject to random substance abuse screening under Company
- Must satisfactorily complete and pass all driver-related training and attend all safety meetings
and in-service meetings in order to remain qualified.
- Must demonstrate professional and courteous communication skills.
- Must possess ability to lift and assist students when necessary.
- Must have a high degree of attention and considerable dexterity to operate and control company
- Must practice defensive driving at all times and avoid vehicular and industrial accidents by
practicing safe driving and work habits.
- Must have ability to maintain effective pupil behavior management over groups of children