The San Jose Police Department (SJPD) is now hiring for the position of Police Recruit, the entry-level training classification to becoming a SJPD Officer. The Department is a dynamic, progressive and professional organization dedicated to maintaining community partnerships, which promotes a high quality of life for the residents of San Jose, the tenth largest city in the nation. The Department employs over 900 police officers in four Bureaus, with more than 50 specialized assignments such as Homicide, Robbery, Crime Scene, M.E.R.G.E., Traffic Enforcement, School Resources, Canines, and Air Support.
Minimum experience or requirements:
- No experience or training is necessary
- At least 20 1/2 years old at the time of application / Maximum age is 70 years old (mandatory retirement age)
- S. high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED); waived if you have a college degree from an accredited college within the U.S.
- Forty (40) semester college credits or 60 quarter college credits from an accredited college or university. Credits in-progress or from another police academy are not accepted.
- Military Veterans with honorable discharge - Can substitute four (4) years of service in the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines or Coast Guard in lieu of the minimum college credit requirement
- Must be a citizen of the United States or have applied for citizenship
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Must have at least 20/40 uncorrected vision
- No felony, domestic violence or misdemeanor assault convictions; cannot currently be on probation or parole