Under the general direction of the Office Supervisor or Manager, this position is accountable to ensure patients are checked in and out efficiently, and, schedule appointments for patients courteously and in a timely manner. This includes reviewing, obtaining and processing accurate billing information. Responsible for collection of fees including insurance, co-pays or self-pays both current and past due amounts. This position is responsible to balance out at the end of the day. Other duties as assigned.
Work is standardized and governed by operational procedures, instructions, financial policies and procedures, and standard practices.
Minimum experience or requirements:
Education, Licenses, Certifications and Experience:
- High School education or GED.
- Demonstrated ability to read, write and speak English.
- Demonstrated ability to use a computer.
- Type 35 wpm.
- One year experience in an office setting, preferably in a medical office.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of medical terminology, office procedures, ICD-9 and CPT codes, and the insurance industry.
- Knowledge of medical records and consent laws.
- Working knowledge of business equipment to include computers, multi-line telephones, fax, and copier, and ability to effectively use applicable software, i.e. patient database system, time clock, insurance sites.
- Skills to type a minimum of 35 wpm.
- Skills to multi-task (e.g., answer phones, check patients in, data entry) and problem solve.
- Skills for good customer service principles, creating a pleasant waiting room and working environment; and, skills to work in a team environment with continuous communication with co-workers, patients, visitors.
- Math skills to manage cash, checks and credit card transactions and to calculate fees or balances.
- Ability to read, write and speak clearly and concisely in English, including using good grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Ability to sort and file materials correctly by alphabet and maintain filing system accurately.
- Ability to use good listening skills to discern priority of phone calls and questions by staff and/or patients, routes appropriately and timely.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality. Knowledge of and the ability to comply with HIPAA policies and procedures.
- Ability to use good judgment, apply reason, research information to assist in good decision-making.