Under the direction of the Billing Supervisor, this position is accountable for overseeing the proper billing and follow-up of all facility charges to patients, insurance companies, and governmental agencies. This position is responsible for maintaining the accounts receivable days. Excellent customer service skills is required to assist in collecting monies due and maintaining good relationships with payors. The position has authority to request write-offs and adjustments to patient accounts and prepare patient refund requests in compliance with department policies. Decisions that must be referred to the Billing Manager are those outside of approved budgetary restraints. The nature of these duties is confidential and subject to analysis and audit. The incumbent must have current working knowledge of federal, state and third-party billing and payment requirements, and maintain updated coding skills for ICD-10 and CPT. This position is responsible to provide technical information to staff and ancillary departments. Other duties as assigned. Heavy phones and AR. Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
Minimum experience or requirements:
Education, Licenses, Certifications and Experience:
- Graduation from high school or the equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to read, write and speak English with basic mathematical skills.
- One year prior coding and accounts receivable experience required, or a combination of coding and medical billing experience to equal one year minimally.
- Working knowledge of computers, and MS Office software to include Access, Excel, Word and Outlook.
- License(s)/Certification(s): Coding Certificate preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of changing regulations for Federal, State and third party payors, which would include but are not limited to: Medicare, Medicaid, Out of State
- Medicaid, Champus/Tricare, Indian Health Service, and commercial insurances.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and coding requirements.
- Ability to use ICD-10, CPT- 4, and HCPCS coding book.
- Knowledge of insurance industry, commercial payors, and changing regulations and governmental programs available to public.
- Working knowledge of business equipment to include computers, multi-line telephones, fax, copier, calculator (ten key by touch).
- Skills to type a minimum of 40 wpm, use computer and medical software programs.
- Skills for adequate judgment and decision making.
- Skills for basic math functions and understand basic accounting functions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and knowledge of HIPAA policies and procedures.
- Ability to read, write and speak clearly and concisely in English.
- Ability to deal with others in a professional manner. Excellent communication skills verbally and written, with the ability to listen attentively and respond
appropriately. Practical knowledge of accounts receivable and collections. Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to prioritize, plan, organize, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to analyze and interpret patient accounting data, research records, and correct deficiencies.
- Ability to prepare patient billings, primary and secondary, and resolve billing problems with third party payors.