Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Summary: Primary responsibilities for the Lead Machine Operator are to set-up and operate a variety of machines in the production process. This includes general machine operations, troubleshooting, daily maintenance and training other machine operators & agency employees.
Essential Job Functions:
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Operate 4+ key work cells/machines within area, with focus on safety and high quality.
- Set up machines prior to running job orders with no assistance.
- Train General Machine Operators (GMO3/GMO2/GMO1) and agency employees in machine set-up, operations, basic troubleshooting, safety and quality.
- Understand job specification format and terms and be able to explain this to other operators.
- Assist supervisor and other members of management in assisting other operators with questions concerning operator tasks or quality questions.
- Troubleshoot and correct minor machine faults.
- Run, review and sign-off 1st article of checklist for each job.
- Audit quality for operations on each side of running machine.
- Audit and ensure work instructions are being followed.
- Assist and monitor other general machine operators and quality control operators with their tasks to ensure proper procedures are being followed.
- Work overtime as needed to meet customers’ needs.
- Perform these and other duties as assigned by supervisor or other appropriate management personnel.
- Safely perform physical demands as indicated below.
- 3+ years’ experience in a progressive, high-volume manufacturing environment.
- Previous experience in setting up manufacturing machines for production (i.e., punches, foil stampers, collators, laminators, etc.).
- Previous experience with training machine operators in a one-on-one or small group environment.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Associate’s degree in a related field preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to determine root cause, containment and corrective actions.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to influence others.
- Intermediate computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Advanced math and reading skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Strong organization skills.
- Ability for paying attention to detail (detail oriented).
- Can complete tasks with little supervision (self-motivated).
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Sit, speak, hear and comprehend
- Stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms on a daily basis.
- Lift up to 50 pounds on a regular basis
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to adjust focus and see colors with acuity
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily in an indoor setting, but may be exposed to:
- Variable temperature conditions indoor and outside (occasionally extreme heat or extreme cold)
- Moving mechanical parts, toxic or caustic chemicals, and dust and/or mite hazards
- Moderate noise environment
Regular work days are Monday through Friday. First Shift hours are 6:00am – 2:30pm; Second Shift hours are 2:00pm – 10:30pm; Third Shift hours are 11:00pm – 6:30am. Additional overtime may be required with short notice.
A demonstrated commitment to safety is a condition of employment.
Non-Exempt Hourly - Regular Full Time
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.