High School Diploma/GED required, Associate's or Bachelor's Degree in Human Services preferred. Bilingual in Spanish preferred. 2+ years working with similar population preferred. Valid and clean NYS Driver's license is required. Must be able to successfully complete the Therapeutic Crisis Intervention Course at the time of employment.
Full Time & Per Diem
Day, Evening, and Overnight Shifts
The Milieu Residential Counselor (MRC) is responsible to protect and advocate for the rights of all youth residing in the residence while ensuring a safe, culturally sensitive, active/engaging, and nurturing environment. MRC responsibilities include engaging with youth in alignment with program expectations, including using a strength based and trauma sensitive approach to supervise their daily living skills. The MRC is further responsible for knowing, implementing and adhering to the policies and procedures of the agency and program including the Agency's Mission, Vision, and Values Creed. The MRC position is available per diem, part time, or full time dependent on current programming. Administrators manage scheduling based on program coverage needs; over time is requested as needed.
- Maintain a clean, orderly and healthy environment for the residents
- Engage with all youth in the program to actively participate and engage in programming activities through the day and evening.
- Provide culturally and trauma sensitive coaching and guidance to the youth within the framework of the program expectations and their individual safety plan
- Effectively communicate with youth (individually and in a group setting) and provide direction and mentoring for their daily responsibilities
- Implement trauma sensitive, behavioral support plans for Hayden youth and track their progress consistently
- Responsible alongside the cook for preparing, serving and supervision of daily meals and snacks as needed considering the dietary guidelines for each youth
- Appropriately supervise and support the daily living skills of the youth residing at the Hayden House including monitoring of the daily routines of the Program, I.E. wakeup, school attendance, recreation, laundry, etc.
- Lead and participate in weekly youth group sessions as assigned by administrative personnel
- Ensure the youth’s medical needs through appropriate monitoring and transportation to and from medical appointments as needed and alongside the transportation coordinator
- Implement appropriate Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) skills during daily practice
- Supervise youth during the after school tutorial program and ensure maximal participation
- Plan and carry out cost-effective recreational outings for the youth on a daily basis as identified by the recreation therapist
- Support youth to have an opportunity to attend religious services at their preferred place of worship
- Provide transportation, supervision and assistance for residents with clothes shopping to teach budgeting skills
- Shopping as necessary for the maintenance of the home including food and household supply shopping
- Document information in the daily logs according to agency and ACS, DSS and OCFS regulatory requirements.
- Attend departmental/staff team meetings and trainings as required by the program or at the request of administrative personnel
- Participate in relevant trainings that will aid in the MRC's career growth and enhance their daily practice as a Residential Counselor
- Timely documentation and processing of all critical incident reports that occur
- Assist in the preparation of all departmental reports
- Responsible for answering emergency calls, notification to appropriate personnel and documentation of emergency incidents
- Other tasks/responsibilities as deemed relevant and necessary by administrative staff to support programmatic needs.