Maintenance & Ground Worker
Who We Are
The Children’s Village was founded in 1851. We work in partnership with families and communities to help children educationally proficient, economically productive, and successful members of communities.
We believe that there are three keys to a child’s success: love and belonging through lifelong relationships education and work. We are passionate about creating family, education and holding our children and youth to the high expectations that allows them to persevere despite the circumstances of poverty, race and segregation.
Want to know more about our mission, approaches, and opportunities? Please visit www.childrensvillage.org.
You Will Be Responsible For:
- Performs a wide variety of general and semi-skilled maintenance activities (e.g. carpentry, painting, plastering and drywall, electrical, lighting, heating and ventilating systems, alarms, plumbing, security etc.) for the purpose of completing projects within established time frames and providing a safe and workable environment.
- Performs preventive maintenance procedures on building mechanical equipment on a regular basis; inspects belts, checks fluid levels, replaces filters, greases bearings, seals, etc.; repairs or replaces broken parts.
- Cleans and inspects boiler and ensures the cleanliness of all assigned mechanical rooms.
- Completes daily, weekly and monthly checklists on building equipment maintenance procedures. Prepares written materials (e.g. repair status, activity logs, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities and/or conveying information.
- May operate a computer which controls the daily work order system as needed.
- Repairs electrical equipment and control circuits; replaces faulty electrical switches; repairs refrigeration equipment.
- Responds to emergency situations during and after hours for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns per the on-duty process.
- Repairs plaster and drywall.
- Maintains inventory; obtain estimates for supplies, repair parts; orders parts as needed.
- Coordinates with supervisor(s) for the purpose of completing projects and work orders efficiently.
- Arranges furniture and equipment for the purpose of providing adequate preparations for special events.
- Performs outside custodial duties such as snow removal/landscaping and garbage removal throughout campus as required.
- May perform minor cement or asphalt patching on sidewalk and parking lots.
- Participates in moving jobs as required.
- Maintains assigned vehicle, tools and equipment for the purpose of ensuring availability in safe operating condition.
- Participates in meetings, workshops, training's, and seminars for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions.
- Transports a variety of tools, equipment and supplies for the purpose of ensuring the availability of materials required at job site.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Our Ideal Candidate (Qualifications):
- You have completed High School (preferred).
- You have vocational training and/or experience in maintenance.
- You maintain records as required.
- You possess a valid NYS driver’s license
Compensation: Commensurate with years of experience. In addition, The Children’s Village offers a comprehensive benefits including medical insurance for employees who work 20 or more hours.
Recruiiting a diverse workforce-EOE