MAINTENANCE MECHANIC - JOB DESCRIPTION
Location: Burlingame, CA
Status: Mechanic Shift: 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Job Category: Manufacturing/Production Work Experience: Advanced
Pay Rate: Starting Rate - “B” Rate ($28.83 per hour)
Every employee here at Guittard Chocolate is working to meet the demands and expectations of our customers for the world’s finest chocolate products. Every person is accountable for ensuring a safe working environment, employing Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), striving to achieve and maintain Safe Quality Food (SQF) certification and following our established Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s).
- Flexibility to deal with any unforeseen changes in routine, such as immediate reassignment to another job due to breakdown.
- Work any assigned shift, reasonable weekly overtime and weekends.
- Complete all essential job functions relating to physical demands and requirements such as perform occasional very heavy lifting.
- Complete all essential job functions relating to work environment that includes working in dusty, noisy, environments with varying temperatures ranging from extreme heat (110+ degrees) to very cool (65 degrees).
- Adapt to new technology in tools, equipment and processes.
- Maintain production equipment in proper operating condition.
- Respond to “floor calls” in a timely manner.
- Handle all breakdowns in an efficient manner.
- Coordinate with production operator and Maintenance Foreman to resolve breakdown issues.
- Perform preventive maintenance duties as assigned.
- Perform other Maintenance tasks such as rebuilding pumps.
- Successfully complete “confined space” training and be able to work in confined spaces.
- Report to Maintenance Foreman shortage of parts or any special needs.
- Support plant effort of focusing on, and adhering to, all Personnel and Food Safety, SQF, HACCP, Quality, AIB and GMP regulations and policies.
- Communicate effectively with personnel at all levels, both union and management.
- 3-5 years direct experience as Maintenance mechanic in a manufacturing union environment, preferably food related.
- Able to perform various types of welding: TIG, MIG, arc, gas.
- Solid understanding of electronics, electrical systems, and mechanical applications; experience with refrigeration is a plus.
- Must have excellent mechanical skills.
- Must be able to trouble shoot, diagnose and repair mechanical and electrical problems, and piping and plumbing issues on various pieces of production and packaging equipment throughout our plant including utility equipment such as boilers and air compressors.
- Must show a large amount of initiative and judgment in analyzing, planning and laying out work for the installation of new and used equipment as well as performing maintenance on our plant facility when needed.
- Must be proficient with hand tools and shop equipment such as lathes, milling machines, drill presses, grinders, pipe threaders and welding equipment.
- May be required to work on hydraulic/pneumatic systems, heating and refrigeration systems and control systems.
- May be required to oversee the work of lower level rate mechanics as well as working with and directing contractors.